Book now to arrange a private tour or to attend our Open Morning on Friday 10th May, 2024
Physical Education (PE) and Sport play a major part of school life. Not only is it a subject in which children gain confidence, develop all aspects of physical fitness and learn a range of skills and techniques, but it is also a medium through which many life skills are developed. These include team work, empathy, good sportsmanship, self-discipline, respect for others, communication and fair play. They are also encouraged to develop their own character and personality through early exposure to competitive situations.
The PE Department’s aims are:
- To develop core physical movement skills to facilitate a life-long love of sport
- To promote personal development, self-confidence and self-esteem through an inclusive and varied program of physical activity
- To ensure that all children are given the same opportunities to enjoy and participate in any particular activity
- Ensure pupils understand the short and long-term effects of exercise on the body systems to ensure progressive long term athlete development
- Develop problem solving skills and facilitate independent learning
- To develop inter-personal skills such as integrity, fairness, self-discipline, a desire to improve and a concern for quality as well as success
- To instill a sense of personal pride in one’s performance and progress
Head of Department – Mr M Woods
PE is taught by specialist teachers from Years 2 to 8 in the School’s state-of-the-art Sports Hall and generous fields. Pupils are taught swimming by a specialist swimming teacher from nursery to year 8 in our own swimming pool. All PE lessons are taught in mixed gender, mixed ability groups.
The PE curriculum is designed to cover all aspects of physical development. Through a comprehensive long term curriculum plan pupils will develop skills such as agility, reaction time, balance, speed, kinaesthetic awareness and power. This includes Mini-Tennis and Badminton to develop eye hand coordination and reaction time alongside associated racquet skills. Gymnastics and Trampolining are taught to develop Strength and kinaesthetic awareness. Athletics is delivered to all year groups to facilitate long-term athlete development. Swimming is taught to build confidence and competence in the water, developing techniques in a wide range of strokes and learning valuable life saving skills.
Trips and Events
All pupils are given the chance to perform in both competitive and non-competitive situations through Sports Day, swimming galas, gymnastics and dance shows and cross country competitions. Pupils are also able to represent the school at local, regional and national level in a wide range of sports and activities.