Active Canaries Health Month
We are excited to participate in the ‘Active Canaries’ health month sponsored by Norse Catering. Every Wednesday over March our pupils and staff will enjoy a nutritious meal designed by a Norwich City Football Club member. The menus, which are designed to serve 4 people, are listed below. Enjoy!
Week 1 – Dimitris Giannoulis, Greek Chicken Flatbreads
1. To make the marinade, mix the juice and zest of the lemon with the garlic puree and vegetable oil.
2. Add the chicken (or Quorn) and mix until well coated. Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the fridge for 1 hour to marinade.
3. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 400°F, 200°C
4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, add the chicken (or Quorn) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. To make the flatbreads whist the chicken is cooking, mix the plain flour and wholemeal flour in a bowl and gradually pour in the water to form a dough.
6. Knead the dough for five minutes until soft – add more flour if the dough is too sticky or add more water if too dry.
7. Cut the dough into 4 or 8 equal portions (depending on which size you would like) and roll until half a centimetre thick and make the
dough an oval shape.
8. Place the flatbreads onto a greased baking tray and cook for 10-15 minutes at Gas mark 6, 400°F, 200°C.
9. Top the flatbreads with the chicken and serve with mixed salad, a yogurt and cucumber dip and couscous!
1 x Lemon
1 tsp Garlic Puree
1 tsp Dried Oregano
25ml Vegetable or Olive Oil
100g Plain Flour
100g Wholemeal Flour
100ml Warm Water
2 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil
450g Chicken – diced (alternatively use Quorn pieces to make it vegetarian)
Week 2 – Josh Sargent, American Mac ‘n’ Cheese
1. Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes and drain once cooked.
2. In a suitable pan, melt the margarine over a medium heat. Add flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
3. Gradually whisk in warm milk a little at a time and cook gently for 10-15 minutes until thickened. Make sure you continually stir the mixture.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 175g of cheese and stir until the cheese is combined.
5. Add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce. Pour the mixture into a deep oven-proof dish, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and grill until browned and bubbling.
6. Serve with Norwich City peas and sweetcorn!
250g Macaroni Pasta
40g Plain Flour
1 pint Semi-Skimmed Milk – warmed
250g Cheddar Cheese – grated
Week 3 – Tim Krul, Veggie Sausage, Red Lentil and Tomato Stew
1. Cook the veggie sausages in the oven at Gas Mark 4, 350°F, 180°C for approx. 15 minutes.
2. Remove the veggie sausages from the oven and slice into 4 pieces at an angle.
3. Cook the lentils as per the packet instructions.
4. In a suitable pan, add the diced onion, grated carrot, diced pepper, garlic puree, tomato puree, mixed herbs and chopped tomatoes and bring
to a simmer.
5. Add half the vegetable stock and cooked red lentils to the pan.
6. Cover saucepan and allow to simmer – add remaining stock if the mixture is too thick.
7. Stir in the chopped veggie sausages and heat through.
8. Serve with mashed potatoes and broccoli!
6x Veggie Sausages
400g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
50g Red Lentils
1 x Carrot – grated
1 x Red Pepper – finely diced
1 x Onion – finely diced
1 Tsp Garlic Puree
1 Tsp Mixed Herbs
1 pint Vegetable Stock
20g Tomato Puree
Week 4 – Teemu Pukki, Finnish Fish Pie Pasta Bake
1. Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
2. Place the milk and garlic puree in a heavy based saucepan and bring the milk to a simmer.
3. Add in the corn flour and water mix, simmer for a couple more minutes until the milk thickens.
4. Remove the milk from the heat and add the frozen peas and broccoli and fish trimmings.
5. Drain the pasta and add it to this mixture and pour everything into a deep oven-proof dish for baking.
6. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the pasta bake, place in oven at 180c and bake for around 20-25 minutes until the fish is cooked and the top starts to golden.
7. Serve with mixed vegetables!
250g Pasta Twists (we use 50/50 white and wholewheat pasta)
600ml Semi Skimmed Milk
1 tsp Garlic Puree
1 tbsp Cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp water
100g Frozen Peas
100g Broccoli Florets (fresh or frozen)
350g White Fish Trimmings (defrosted if using frozen trimmings)
100g Cheddar Cheese – grated